Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Avocado Pesto Pasta from Chloe’s Kitchen

I made this pasta recipe various times this past summer. It’s super easy to prepare, it’s delicious, and it stores well.

STEP ONE: Cook pasta. I only had penne on hand, but I’ve used farfalle and rotini before. I like to add peas to my pesto; I add them when the pasta is done boiling so they don’t overcook.


STEP TWO: Prepare sauce. I have substituted the pine nuts with almonds  ‘cos they’re cheaper. I also don’t add the olive oil anymore. I’m not totally fat free, but avocado, almonds, and olive oil just seems overindulgent. I don’t have a Vitamix, so if you have a crappy blender, I recommend blending in stages. 
 
STEP THREE: Combine pasta and sauce. The pesto pasta taste great cold and at room temperature. When packing for work, make sure to store in an air tight container because it will brown a bit. I top off my pasta with sautéed cherry tomatoes and some nutritional yeast.

Overall, this recipe is a great option for a quick dinner and an excellent lunch option for the office. Just make sure to pack a small salad to sneak in some leafy greens.

5 comments:

  1. I so love the Avocado Pesto Pasta, I could eat it on a daily base!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had my eye on this recipe for a little while but haven't tried it yet. I'll be sure to give it a go soon! I agree that the oil seems like overkill, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I highly recommend trying the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am doing a cookbook challenge to cook every recipe from Chloe’s Kitchen.
    Hope you don’t mind that I added your post to my blog page under “Others who made it”.
    http://eileenlikestoeat.com/2013/05/09/cookbook-challenge-chloes-kitchen-avocado-pesto-pasta-vegan/

    ReplyDelete