Pages

Friday, October 26, 2012

Mac 'n Cheeze

Yesterday, I crossed off the date (Oct. 25) from my calendar at 9AM and the day instantly turned into a Friday the 13th. After a rough day, I needed some comfort, so I made mac 'n cheeze!

This is the third time I make man 'n cheeze using a yeast based cheeze sauce. I personally hated the boxed product and the homemade recipes were scarce growing up. However, this  recipe from Khloe's Kitchen (it's the last cookbook I bough, that's why I've made so many references to it) has really grown on me. find it here: http://chefchloe.com/entrees/vegan-mac-n-cheese.html 

  • 1 pound elbow macaroni or piccolini
  • 3 cups broccoli florets
  • ¼ cup vegan margarine
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (or gluten-free all-purpose flour)
  • 3 cups soy, almond, or rice milk
  • ½ cup nutritional yeast
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 2 teaspoons sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon agave

I follow the recipe as directed. The lemon really adds a bright flavor to the sauce and the garlic makes it super addicting to eat.
Sauce over shells
 
In the book, she adds a baking step which thickens the sauce. Before baking, I added cherry tomatoes. Normally, I don't bake my broccoli in with the sauce, but I add a few for my boyfriend.
I finish with bread crumbs

In the past, I've used regular elbow pasta, whole wheat pasta, and the shell's. Of the three, my boyfriend an I prefer the shells.
The tomatoes are burst in your mouth
 While the man 'n cheese was delicious, I ended up eating a little to much and feeling sick afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment