Pages

Monday, October 8, 2012

Sunday Brunch: Chilaquiles

I decided to make chilaquiles inspired by one of my favorite restaurants, Sage Organic Vegan Bistro in Los Angeles. Made made with organic yellow corn chips, tofu egg and a homemade green sauce sautéed with daiya cheese; their chilaquiles are delicious and pretty simple to imitate.
Chilaquiles I enjoyed over my b-day weekend.

The first thing I did was to change the recipe. I was pressed for time (my boyfriend had to work at noon), so I cut some corners and used a pre-made chili verde sauce. Instead of chips, I used sprouted tortillas. I also ended up baking my chilaquiles.
Chilaquiles are one of those dishes meant to use up stale tortillas. Having neither stale tortillas nor the desire to uses tortilla chips, I improvised and used sprouted tortillas. The texture of the sprouted tortillas is really hardy, so I knew they would absorb the sauce  without turning into mush. Plus, they are delicious!

To keep things “traditional” I cut my tortillas into triangles.


I then ladled some sauce over the tortillas and lightly sprinkled a little bit of Daiya cheeze. I repeated the process until there were no tortillas left. My aim in layering was to create an even, cheesy, but not too cheesy bite. I placed the dish in a 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes or until the tortillas are soft.

On the stovetop, I browned some tofu, which I seasoned with spices (cumin, salt, garlic, and a little chili verde). I then added the tofu to the chilaquiles and placed the dish back into the oven to melt the Daiya on the top a bit more.

I made some Mexican styled brown rice, black beans, and  pico de gallo to go along with the chilaquiles.

At this point, this recipe might sound more like cheesy enchiladas instead of chilaquiles. However, chilaquiles are different (read the wiki article here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilaquiles). Regardless of the cooking method, I encourage everyone to try this hardy brunch meal inspired by one of my favorite restaurant or just go there http://www.sageveganbistro.com/ 

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, your chilaquiles look yummo! I haven't made this dish before but I will do so soon!

    ReplyDelete